28 July 2006

Headlights and Flashing



No, I'm discussing the real kind.

There's somewhat of a convention when driving on the highway. Drivers, by flashing their headlights, warn other approaching drivers of police cars hiding by the side of the road waiting to catch speeders.

On the way to the country, it occured to me - "whats the point" ?. I may warn the first set of upcoming drivers, but by doing so, I alter fate and just cause some other poor hapless soul be ticketed. So who am I to be playing God?

You might counter, that by slightly delaying ticketing, ultimately less people will get ticketed. Thats because the cop will go off duty, or get called to some other business, etc.

Lately, as I've begun to slow down because of age and in an effort to increase mileage (yes, it makes a big difference and I don't want to support OPEC anymore than necessary), it's occurred to me that maybe I should completely stop this Flashing business. But then I remember how painful it can be to get stopped by the Cops. But then I think about the anguish that can be caused by an accident on the road.

I decided to stop Flashing.

So what do you do?

  • ===> Use Haloscan: |
  • Do NOT enter new comments here 6 comments Do NOT use.

    6 Comments:

    At July 28, 2006 11:56 AM, Blogger Jewish Atheist said...

    Assuming there are other flashers, you warn these guys and someone behind you warns the next guys.

    I flash according to my mood. On those roads with unreasonably low speed limits which I feel are simply revenue makers, I flash -- especially in good weather. On roads where the speed limit makes more sense, I probably don't.

     
    At July 28, 2006 12:06 PM, Blogger Baal Habos said...

    JA,

    I'm positive that flashing is only a temporary deferral. If not, the police would have learnt by now and they would not be wasting their time hiding in the woods.

    > On those roads with unreasonably low speed limits which I feel are simply revenue makers, I flash -- especially in good weather. On roads where the speed limit makes more sense, I probably don't.


    Thats a talmudic compromise.

    But Tosfos states, you really don't know how fast the other guy is going. What if he's doing 25 over instead of the customary 10?

    But you do have a valid point.

    I like that distinction.

     
    At July 28, 2006 12:47 PM, Blogger Baal Habos said...

    > However your post has made me think that by flashing I am encouraging some to drive dangerously and perhaps cause harm to himself and others. So I will stop flashing.


    Moshe, wow. Our good deed for the day. Me for posting and you for being so decisive.

     
    At July 28, 2006 3:48 PM, Blogger Baal Habos said...

    Irviner,

    Before there were radar detectors, we used flashing only. And Minhag backward is Gehennom. Se we're not Mevatel it, even if the taam no longer applies :-)

     
    At July 28, 2006 6:27 PM, Blogger topshadchan said...

    I dont flash.
    I hate it when i get flashed.

     
    At August 08, 2006 9:55 AM, Blogger Baal Habos said...

    MK, Old habits, like religion, are very tough to break.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home