09 July 2006

Come with me, little neshamala

I guess after blogging a bit, I can now firmly state the purpose of my blog. It's to portray the life of one such as me, who lives a Frum life even though I'm pretty convinced that OJ is off the track.

I am not looking for this to be a debate on skepticism or OJ. I'm not really very good at that. I suffer from CRS (See below). There are other excellent blogs for that, Godol Hador, Ben Avuya, JA, Orthoprax, RecoveringOrthoJew, (just to name the few that instantly come to mind). There are also plenty of blogs for those seeking Chizuk, such as LY, etc.

I'm taking this from the perspective of wanting to share my life with you. Some of my history, how I became dubious about OJ (without trying to convince anyone) and of the difficulties of living in two worlds.

Now and then I may take potshots at things that I feel are wrong with the OJ & Chareidi system. I'll point out the nice things about it too. But that would be no different than other Frum bloggers who have plenty of Emuna.

I must point out that there is a wonderful forum on Yahoo that already has this stated claim. It's the Frum skeptics group. If you're a skeptic, check it out. If you're looking to be Mekarev someone, stay away. I note though, that it does not serve my particular needs and caters more to those that have made a break from Orthodox practice. There are some wonderful conversations and resources in that Forum so I try to participate. My immediate future posts on this blogs will be about issues that I've brought up there already, so bear with me if you've already been thru those.

So please come with me, join me on this journey; I honestly don't know where it will lead. Feel free to comment or not. Feel free to leave if you're bored or offended. Feel free to offer suggestions for discussion.




Oh! I almost forgot. CRS - "Can't Remember S*&%" or us Frummies may say "Can't remember Squat".


It strikes anytime past the age of 40. I first heard of CRS from a co-worker around three years ago. He mentioned CRS to me as a bumper sticker that he'd seen somewhere. Then something strange happened. I felt I was beginning to come down with it. So I mentioned to him that I'm coming down with CRS. He says "CRS, whats that?" He literally had no-recollection of our conversation. I guess It's progressive.

So now that I have CRS, I feel I'm no good at debating, bringing up Pesukim to prove contradictions or citing references of scholarly books. I'll leave the facts and debates to other blogs. (Well maybe we can debate a little).

This is for feelings and experiences.

  • ===> Use Haloscan: |
  • Do NOT enter new comments here 6 comments Do NOT use.

    6 Comments:

    At July 09, 2006 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    "and of the difficulties of living in two worlds."

    Baal Habos,I feel for you!
    I was already an 'apikores'whilst learning at a litvishe chareidishe yeshivah in the U.S.(6 months from semichah...).
    I am not observant at all,but out of habit I am what you may call 'biblically kosher'... I only eat animals that are maalei gerah & mafrisei parsah... but bought it in a none kosher store.Can't touch chazir & cant drink a cup of coffee with milk after meat! Though of course I dont have separate dishes. Hard to get away from what it's been ingrained into you as a child.
    Another thing I can't get away from is studying Judaism,whether it's the Tenach,Talmud or Medieval Jewish philosophy.Even at Uni I took extra courses in those subjects.
    I suppose my identification with Judaism is through studying its sources. similar to the classic apikores who would learn a blatt gemara on shabbes smoking a cigarette...
    BTW you must be of litvish extration.You call yourself baal habOs & not habUs...
    Well,enough of that! I really don't know why I am writing you all this.I suppose it's the mood I am in.

    ps did you notice my correction of your gematriya of 'taavah'?

     
    At July 09, 2006 9:06 PM, Blogger Baal Habos said...

    Jewish Skeptic, thanks. It's amazing how everyone has their own little story to tell. Yes, I'm of Litvish extraction, but if you think about it, you can go either way on the pronunciation with either spelling. I.e HABUS could be pronounced Ho-BUS (as in bus), etc.


    And yes, thanks for the correction on Taava, I probably spelled it quickly in my head with two Vuvs. (I guess I got a lot of taavuh?)

    BHB

     
    At July 11, 2006 6:08 PM, Blogger topshadchan said...

    bhb
    Im from a hiemishe background, all my cousins are chassidic, except us. Grew up in boro park, lived in flatbush. now five towns.

    Im not sure if im a skeptic.
    Depends on who im talking to .
    LY may consider me one, JS may not.
    Regardless of wether im convinced that chazal made stuff up or not,
    I would never give up orthodoxy, because i dont see not being orthodox being a better choice.

    What am I missing? How on earth could I possibly fit in? Im also convinced there is no way, i would marry a great a girl as my wife if i was in the non orthodox world.

    And I enjoy the people, the learning, the community.

    The things i dont like too much, i tolerate for my kids. Maybe they will like it better, or maybe they will turn out like me.

     
    At July 11, 2006 10:21 PM, Blogger Baal Habos said...

    Happy, you sound very similiar to me. As my tale unfolds on this blog, we'll probably see lot's of similarities. I just don't want to publish some things on the blog, Whats your Email? I'll take a closer look at your blog when I get a chance!

    BHB

     
    At July 12, 2006 5:00 PM, Blogger topshadchan said...

    BHB
    happywithhislot@gmail.com

     
    At July 19, 2006 3:07 PM, Blogger Avi said...

    BHB You know where I stand ( or sit) so I dont have to tell you. Why am I writing? Beats me. I am bored and have nothing to do

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home