27 May 2006

Vekaray Shmah BeYisroel

Is it just me? Or is something changing, right under our very noses?

Recently I noticed a new phenomenon. I remember learning the nusach for naming a baby girl as ending with the blessing:

Yigadla (T'torah) L'chupah Oo'lmaasim Tovim. Check your Siddurim, That's what you'll find.


They should raise her to (Torah), to the wedding and to good deeds. Torah was an optional part of the blessing , probably in accordance with the fact that in the past most girls hardly studied Torah.

Recenty, on several different occasions, in different Shul's, I've heard a new twist.

"Yigadla L'ben Torah, Lchupah Oo'lmaasim Tovim"

She should be raised to marry a Ben Torah, to Chupah and Massim Tovim.

Firstly, the grammar seems incorrect. Secondly, it seems to me as a corruption of the prayer. It took Chareidim forty to fifty years to come up with a Kina (lamentation) on Tisha Bov to recognize the holocaust. This was due to the fact that we're not supposed to modify the Nussach as handed down over the generations and after all, the Holocaust was already covered by the all the Tsuros in the Kinos and did not require any special mention. (Tell that to the people who lived through it).

And now, so cavalierly, the ages old nussach of naming a baby girl gets changed.

And finally, (and my wife would be proud of me if she knew I posted this), isn't this really insulting to all women?

A baby girl's purpose is to get married to a Ben Torah?

I guess that's nothing new in this day and age.

  • ===> Use Haloscan: |
  • Do NOT enter new comments here 9 comments Do NOT use.

    9 Comments:

    At May 29, 2006 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    "I'm just you're average Baal Habos"
    It's "your", not "you're".

     
    At May 29, 2006 10:55 PM, Blogger Baal Habos said...

    Thats it? No other comment? OK, it's better than nothing and thanks.

     
    At May 30, 2006 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    BHB,

    There you have it. Another ever so small step in the evolution of Orthodox Judaism.

    Hatzlacha with your new blog.

    Bugs

     
    At May 30, 2006 5:33 PM, Blogger Baal Habos said...

    Moshekappoya,

    "in der Heim" meaning boro park 1999?

    I just don't buy it. I NEVER heard it as a child, and I've heard a lot of them.

     
    At May 31, 2006 12:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I think you missed something REALLY big and radical here. The idea is that she should BECOME a ben Torah, not marry one. Now, I don't know if going to the Gush is enough, or whether an actual sex-change operation is required. (I lean toward the former; we need all the good women we can get.)

     
    At May 31, 2006 9:36 AM, Blogger Baal Habos said...

    Minyan man,

    so MosheKappoya's Rav was right. In der alter heim, they were talking about Yentl.

     
    At May 31, 2006 2:43 PM, Blogger southernyid said...

    When I was younger guys in yeshiva used to wish that to the father jokingly. When it became the minhag is beyond me.

     
    At May 31, 2006 7:43 PM, Blogger Baal Habos said...

    SouthernYid,
    Now the jokes on us. What other kind of jokes have been perpetrated on us?

     
    At August 10, 2006 5:04 PM, Blogger Baal Habos said...

    Anon test.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home