12 August 2006

Orthoprax at home

So why does a non-believer like me stay frum - even in the privacy of my home.

Sorry, it's quiz time again. But now we get some answers in the same post.

I work for the Jewish Morals society and I'm trying to infiltrate the Kofrim so I can "out" them.
Even though OJ is a sham, God put me in an OJ environment and wants me to be Frum.
I'm afraid of change.
I'm afraid of Lakewood Yid.
Make up a good reason for me. Your's might be as good as mine.


There are some major reasons and some finer points. Here's the biggie.

I touched upon this in a slightly different context. See, Chazal were very smart. They, possibly unknowingly, implanted in me a level of doubt that took me many years to get over.

"Lo Uvdo Avodah Zarah Ela L'hatir Lahem Arayos"

Every school child asks the same question, and it's a great one! How can God punish me for serving other Gods if I really believe in another God?

And the answer is brilliant, for the most part.

I really don't believe in the other God, it's just that the other God is not as strict as Yahweh and will let me sleep around. So I delude myself into thinking Baal is the real thing. But really I know. Chazal pre-empted the intellectual excuse for leaving Juadaism.

As a fresh apostate, my hands were really tied.

Maybe I found this new science just so I can leave religion. In other words, unknowingly, I was pre-empting Jewish Philosopher. He accused me of deciding against OJ for emotional reasons, to follow my Taavos. And I, as a nice ehrlicha Baal Habos, was actually thinking along the same lines.

I stayed Frum, afraid to trust my own judgement.


Want to know how wacked out/Frum out I was? (is that a word? wacked out? maybe it's whacked out.)

I was so frum, that a short while later, I stopped learning. Huh? Frum? Yes, I stopped learning. Because, I don't remember where it says, "Oros Shebah machzirin L'mutov". The light in Torah returns one to Hashem. But that's as long as one is not learning L'kantair. As long as you're not learning to find find fault with Torah. And I was. Ever since my switch, everything I learnt was to ask a Kashia, critical and looking for problems.

My life was an emotional roller coaster.


To be continued.....


Comments not necessary till conclusion of Post (unless you insist).

Shabbat Shalom.

  • ===> Use Haloscan: |
  • Do NOT enter new comments here 7 comments Do NOT use.

    7 Comments:

    At August 18, 2006 4:26 PM, Blogger Baal Habos said...

    Irviner, thanks.

    Usually the choices in my quizes are intended to be humorous. I guess it's not always apparent.

    Shabbat Shalom.

     
    At August 19, 2006 9:43 PM, Blogger topshadchan said...

    bhb
    as an orthoprax, does your lack of belief extend to your wife and kids.
    What i mean is, do you ask your kids to say modeh ani or bentch?

    as for your wife, if she did something wrong on shabbos, or maybe she hands you something during days of niddah, do you keep up the frum pretense or let it go?

    so basically, are you orthoprax for yourself, or do you extend it to entire family with same "ernst" as before?

     
    At August 19, 2006 10:28 PM, Blogger Avi said...

    The answer is a simple one. You started to think for yourself. Judaism frowns upon thinking. It wants you to follow it, just as you were taught. Just remember one thing. There are millions of people who believe in voodoo magic also.

     
    At August 19, 2006 11:35 PM, Blogger Baal Habos said...

    Happy, I'll get around to family in some future posts.

     
    At August 22, 2006 8:53 AM, Blogger jewish philosopher said...

    "Emotional roller coaster" sounds hormonal. Could it be mid life crisis?

     
    At August 22, 2006 9:17 AM, Blogger Baal Habos said...

    > The simple life, think about it. No questions, no deep musings, no Excedrin size headaches.

    MK, exactly, thats my sub-title, ignorance is bliss.

    > Emotional roller coaster" sounds hormonal. Could it be mid life crisis?

    JP, sure. My epiphany caused a mid-life crisis. but it was definitely not the other way around.

     
    At September 02, 2006 11:56 PM, Blogger Baal Habos said...

    Bshrirus Libi, Welcome. I got an Email saying you posted and it too me ten minutes to find which post you commenetd on. Hmm a problem with the notification system.

    Are you asking how old I was when I saw the light? The answer is way to old to make changes, I had a grown child off to Israel already.

    I love your name. and the timing of your post shows you mean it. Unless you're posting from Israel.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home